Geophysical Advisor/Senior Geophysicist - Staff
Discipline: Completions, Well Testing & Well Intervention
Ref: MCG 15188
Start Date: ASAP
Start Date: ASAP
Geophysical Advisor/Senior Geophysicist
The role will report directly to the Brazil Exploration Manager and will be defined as a staff position.
• You are an experienced, commercially aware geophysicist with a strong technical background in operated exploration programs and new ventures.
• You will have the ability to influence decisions made through your technical expertise and experience and will be capable of managing issues that may arise as part of exploration evaluations.
• You can quickly identify the critical value drivers of a project and know when additional support is required to address them. You are comfortable working to multiple strict deadlines and are confident representing the company in an outward facing role.
• Although this role will report into the Brazil EM, the position will also be required to support new venture activity beyond Brazil as and when required, you will also provide peer review and technical support across the London based exploration portfolio as an experienced and respected member of the Premier Oil Exploration team.
• Ensuring health, safety, environmental and security of self and others.
• Commercially aware exploration geophysicist capable of managing those issues that may arise as part of exploration evaluation and operations.
• Collaborate with other Exploration BU geophysicists to ensure sharing of best practice and consistency in interpretation and quality of technical assessments and outputs.
• Comfortable working to multiple strict deadlines, and will be confident representing the company in an outward facing role and dealing with senior stakeholders.
• Co-ordinate technical evaluations; manage outsourced projects as required and provide quality assurance on geoscience issues.
• Work with other evaluation team members to steer evaluation work through Premier’s internal Functional Review and Gate processes, following EMS guidelines.
• Ensure effective documentation and data management of evaluations
• Continue to develop own expertise and knowledge.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Delivery of 2 well exploration programme in Brazil (1 operated) in 2020, including well planning and operational support.
• Maturation of evaluation on existing Brazil licences plus participation in New Venture evaluations.
• High quality mapping and prospect evaluation, including post-drill assessment.
• Detailed seismic reservoir characterisation.
• Depth conversion sensitivities.
• Seismic attribute analysis and data conditioning.
• Detailed structural mapping.
• Work with Geologist and Function to update volumes and risks based on all new incoming data.
The major challenges for this role will likely be:
• Presenting project evaluations and recommendations to senior management, partners and government authorities. Managing expectations of these key stakeholders.
• Working on multiple projects at the same time whilst delivering a quality product and successfully engaging with function to obtain endorsement.
Financial accountability / activity indicators
Reporting and management relationships
Brazil Exploration Manager
Direct reports (internal employees / external parties):
Indirect (internal employees / external parties):
External contractors and service providers
Geology or Geophysics degree or equivalent with a minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience (required)
Post graduate education, or equivalent (advantage)
Relevant PhD (advantage)
Skills / experience:
• Relevant post graduate experience in upstream oil and gas (exploration & production), based on core skills in geophysics with a minimum of 8 years industry experience in exploration focussed roles.
• Experience of engaging and influencing partners and key stakeholders.
• Direct experience of maturing leads to robust drillable prospects, well planning, operations and post-well analysis and reporting. Proven interpreter and prospect generator.
• Direct experience of working as part of an international new ventures team.
• Experience of seismic survey acquisition and reprocessing and interacting with seismic contractors
• Ability to interpret in a 3D multi-cube environment. Familiarity with relevant geoscience software (e.g. Kingdom, Petrel, Paleoscan etc).
• Expertise of AVO techniques, QI assessments and 3D visualisation. Familiarity with the SAAM (Seismic amplitude analysis module) an advantage
• Familiar with seismic acquisition and processing in both the time and depth domain
• Thorough understanding of Premier Oil`s EMS maturation workflow (advantage).
• Ability to quickly identify and quantify the key value drivers of an exploration project
• Understanding of Premier’s broader exploration business and strategy to allow the correct positioning and decisions to be taken with regards to its assets (advantage).
• Experience working in a number of basins both regionally and at the prospect level (advantage)
• Ability to work on a number of projects at the same time
• Understanding of exploration project economics and commercial drivers.
• Ability to contribute technically beyond immediate project focus.
Attributes and behaviours:
• Strong self-starter, highly motivated to initiate and conclude projects.
• Ability to engage external parties in a professional and effective manner.
• Ability to effectively communicate opportunity scope and subsurface technical issues.
• The ability to think creatively to identify upside in projects others may have missed.
• The ability to communicate and work with other disciplines (RE, commercial, drilling etc.)
• Good communicator and presenter.
• Displaying strong cultural awareness in respecting local people and culture.